CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

King Favorites

OK, so it's been a long time since I've posted. Cut a sister some slack. It's been a busy one around here! So I was getting some peanut butter out of my pantry yesterday while making lunch and thought, how would this family survive without peanut butter? It is an ultimate staple in our home! Sooooo, I thought to myself, what are the other staples we couldn't live without? Sure this post may not be the most exciting, but that's just how I roll today. Informational with a side of boring. :-) So here's to all those staples in our home that are frequently used! Of course, this isn't an exhaustive list...there are too many staples to name, but these are just a few that were fresh on the brain....in no particular order, except #1. :-)

#1:Peanut Butter- Zac and Taylor could eat Peanut Butter at every meal, on anything and never get sick of it! I like peanut butter, but I am not where close to eating as much as these boys do! At any given moment if you can't find Taylor in our house, he is probably sitting in the pantry floor with a spoon and the giant tub of peanut butter eating it by the spoonfuls...no lie. He and his daddy are peanut butter lovers. I love to bake with peanut butter too, so we have to buy a ginormous tub unless I want to go to the store every other day for peanut butter. Seriously....I buy a 6lb container. Crazy! I bought one two weeks ago, and it is half gone already! And if you are thinking.....that isn't a very healthy choice. You are right. I am aware of the hydrogenated oils in Peter Pan. I know the natural peanut butter is a healthier choice, however, my Zac has stated he is on furlough from my "healthy" peanut butter and wants the real deal for a while, so I figure since he has eaten my kind for several years now, I'll treat him and buy the "real" stuff for a little while. Anyhow, here's to peanut butter!!

#2: Agave- I love this stuff!! Love, love, love it! It isn't as sweet as honey and has such a light taste. I don't like syrup, so I use Agave on anything a normal person would use syrup on. I put it in smoothies for a little sweetener, in hot tea, on a peanut butter sandwich, pancakes, waffles, biscuits. Yummo. If you have never bought it before, try it! You will not be disappointed. It's glycemic index is lower than sugar and other sweeteners too, so I've heard it's better for diabetic's. Anyhow, that random bit of info was for free. :-)


#3: Spinach & Tomatoes- I know, this is kind of random. We use so many tomatoes and spinach. Why you ask? Well, here is the deal. They are BOTH superfoods and are uber healthy and good for your body. I typically don't buy lettuce anymore and I buy spinach in most cases. We can't tell the difference and it has SOOO many more vitamins and nutrients than lettuce. They are staples because I can create a meal out of them. Think about it....if you have chicken, you can make a grilled chicken sandwich or a panini. If you have pasta, you can make a light pasta with them tossed in it. If you have bacon, you can make a BLT. The possibilites are endless! Now we do NOT eat cooked spinach, but love it fresh....on salads, sandwiches, wraps. You get the point. It's pretty versatile.


#4: Bread! Who doesn't like bread! I don't think Zac or Taylor could live without bread in our house. They love sandwiches, bread and butter, toast, garlic bread, you name it.....they love it. I'm not a big fan of just any bread though. I prefer healthier choices for my family and because we eat so much of it I have a few "requirements" when I buy it. It has to be wheat and I look for one that has no high fructose corn syrup, enriched flour or hydrogenated anything. It's a little harder than you think. A lot of bread has high fructose corn syrup. So this is our top choice of bread....Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat. I'm sure there is an even healthier one out there, but Zac will not eat the nutty, wheat berry, sprouted ones. Bread is made to be soft according to his taste buds, so why argue?

#5: Cheese. I LOVE cheese. Any kind (almost), any way, on anything. I love cheese. Brie, cheddar, Gouda, Swiss, provolone, string cheese....and even on a rare occasion the mother of fake cheese, Velveeta. Taylor is a cheese head too. If I let him eat cheese every time he asked for it, he would be constipated for a year! He loves it! So we typically have several kinds around here. Just don't give me American cheese. Gag.



Incase you hung out to the end of this post, thanks for stopping by. "Cheers" to a bit of King Randomness today! :-)

3 comments:

Lea Wethington said...

So fun! i love random posts!
I am totally with Zac on the "healthy" peanut butter - GAG!!! I, by nature seem to always go with the "healthy" food choice...ie Diet Coke instead of regular coke:), but that stuff is just gross.
I want you to do a post on top 5 desserts:)

Melissa Terry said...

Always fun to get a glimpse into the King household! Peanut butter...I could live on. I keep hearing the rave about agave but I haven't made the switch yet. I need to track it down in the grocery store b/c it sounds right up my alley.

Many blessings...

SS Vermicompost Industry said...

Excellent. I like your blog... Organic Manure in Tamilnadu